Skip to main content

Time Management- Efficient or Effective?

My ex-boss, affectionately known as 'bos ayam', has this habit of asking this in her job interview, "What is the difference between Efficient and Effective?"

Anyone in our Corp Development Dept must know how to answer that question, unless you are interested to attend her one hour lecture.

So.. it was kinda nostalgic when I read today's Strait Times and saw this Time Mgt article which, I believe, is inspired by many books my ex-boss also use to teach us.

Rite.. what's the difference?

*taken from Strait Times*

Efficiency means doing things right. Working efficiently is doing things with the least amount of wasted effort.

Effectiveness means doing the right things, doing things that yield results.

So.. which is more important? Which one should I work on first?

Answer is.. 'Effectiveness'.
Focus on effectiveness means you are focusing on the result, rather than being occupied by the process.

Simple example:

If a salesperson is focusing on his efficiency, he will probably be working on how to maximise the number of customers he could serve within certain period of time.
Sounds good.
But.. what is the point of serving many customers if none of them buy? Or even worse, if none of them are satisfied with his service?

Now.. if he were to focus on effectiveness first, he will work on the effective methods or ways to provide a satisfying service and to convince his customers to buy.

Which is better?
Obviously at the end of the day, it's the result that matters.

In managing our time, it's important to, firstly, focus on how to fill our time with activities that yield result, rather than just trying to fit in as many activities as we can in a day.

Just because you think you are doing something all the time doesn't mean you will get anything out of it. Just because you make something, doesn't mean you have made the best out of it.

Hmpfh.. it's a long way of learning for me. ^^

Next one: Eliminating Time Wasters

Comments

wei said…
Heard of 20-80 rules?
80% of your business from 20% of your clients, and the remaining 20%of your business are from 80% of your clients.

Point to learn: focus your time and energy on those 20% of your clients

So bottom line: Take a look at how much time you are spending calling on, servicing, or answering questions from people who don't do business with you, and stop wasting your time :)

-know this fr my brother who is Jack Welch fan
phoenix chix said…
Haha yup2.. it's the Pareto's principle.

gonna continue to that point actually, but dun have the luxury of mind and time to blog another long article ^^

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-