Skip to main content

Hometown Culture Shock

I must have underestimated the 'culture shock' factor that people always talk about when they move to other countries.

Even when I watched the best exotic marigold hotel, I didn't really think much about it.
Obviously you would get a shock when you are from a first world country such as UK and you come to a 'developing' country such as India.

But Singapore and Indonesia?
I adapted comfortably when I moved to Singapore 13 yrs ago.
It was only a matter of different language mainly.
The 'kiasuism' was not much an issue. Rather it was fun to observe.

I guess that was because geographically these two countries are close.
And Jakarta, despite being a mess traffic-wise, is actually quite a cosmopolitan city.

But now.. me, an Indonesian, who lived in Singapore for 13 years,
on my way back to my own country, my own town!
I can't believe it.
I am having a culture shock.

I think partly because I spent my 20s mainly in Singapore.
I suspect between 20-30, we are training ourselves to survive and thrive in the real world.
We learn how things work and we learn how to respond.

So.. when you spend those 10 years in one city,
one highly regulated city mind you,
it will be a culture shock when you move back to Indonesia.

We don't even need to talk about the corrupt part of the country.

The mindset of our own people,
I just can't believe that I actually don't 'get it'.
And how things work here.. wow..
I feel like a baby learning his first significant steps.


Comments

andreas chandra said…
in psychology, they say 20-30 is the most significant part in ur life as most important things happen here. college, graduation, relatives passing away, etc. guess everything ard us shapes us.

apparently, we learn psychology even without the book! #scientific #mengapabeginibegitu
phoenix chix said…
haha indeed we naturally learn psychology when we make effort to observe how people behave and ask the question why.

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-