Skip to main content

This salvation thing


Are we friends? Or are we foes? That kind of thing you decide for yourselves!- Luffy, One Piece.

For some reasons, I feel like starting off with this cool line from Luffy.

Long post ahead!

My fb wall was hot with this salvation issue yesterday.
because apparently some pastors seem to embrace this idea that we could lose our salvation if we don't keep up to the required standard of living.
and then there is this issue of what kind of home we will be dwelling in when we reach heaven. (chicken barn or Tony Stark style villa).

Personally, I am more intrigued with the predestination issue but that's for another time.

I am not a theologian. But I am a seeker. 
So this is just my own rumblings.

There is a reason why this topic remains in debate over centuries. So please don't quickly undermine others who share different opinion with you.
Let's try to be humble and kind. And above all, let's continuously seek (Mat 6:33) and desire to know Christ (Phi 3:8-10). 

You see.. the bible does say one thing for certain. Whomsoever believes in Jesus shall not perish but will have eternal life (John 3:16)
That statement is as clear as you can get. And it was uttered by the only guy whose words we can completely rely on in the entire bible.

But beyond that checkpoint, there are various verses that seem to suggest both the ideas of
1) our salvation is irrevocable and can't be lost (theory A), and 
2) there are various ways in which we could lose our place in heaven. whether by rejecting Christ after we receive Him, or by continuously leading a sinful life, etc etc. (theory B)

The theory A proponents argument would be somewhat like what my friend Andri shares > here.
Beautifully written. In indonesian though.
Theory B- I won't go into the verses here. Too many. 
Theory B is somewhat easier to accept. It aligns with the very nature of humans belief.
That is reflected in the systems that we find in other religions.
Another good write up to address verses that seem to suggest theory B-> here

If you think about it.. the non-Christian friends of us must find it quite amusing.
We don't seem to be very certain ourselves about this salvation thing.
Just like them.

So therein lies my simple personal belief.

God the Father would not have gone into so much trouble in sacrificing His Son for the kind of redemption that would eventually depend on our humanly will, effort and knowledge to keep.

Humans, even before they were under the power of sin and while living in a perfect world and perfect relationship with God, have proven to be not so reliable anyway.

If the blood on the door was good enough for the Lord to pass over the house (regardless of how wicked or good the family inside), how much more could the blood of the Lamb of God do?

This Good News, this Savior.. is sure and certain.
Our salvation began with faith. and it will be perfected in faith.
There is no other way to come to this perfect and holy God except through Jesus.

This.. is my simple faith. And I suppose.. yours too.

The problem is really.. how do we address the doubt thrown at us and our friends.
The devils would try it all the time.

The devil know for a fact that Jesus is the Son of God.
Yet.. when he tempted Jesus, he said.. 'IF you are the Son of God'..
And Jesus could have answered 'dude.. I AM. leave it.'
Instead He showed us how to properly answer. He quoted the scripture.

So happen that a few days ago, I started to read the bible again. but in a different way.
Starting from New Testaments.With only one angle of focus. Salvation.
Because I find that this entire bible is really about one thing. God's redemptive plan for the world.

There are questions which answer we need to seek and decide for ourselves..
Not being reliant on pastors, friends, or some articles.
A journey of discovery. Just us, and the Holy Spirit. 

I think that's the beauty of it.
Through Jesus, we are made His royal priest.
Do you even realise what that mean??

Don't leave it to others to tell you and decide for you.
Seek Him.Sail with him.
You are on an adventure with the Lion of Judah, the Captain of our salvation (Heb 2:10)
Set sail!

"If you ask this old man anything about it here and now... Then I'll quit being a pirate! I don't want to go on a boring adventure like that!"- Luffy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-