Skip to main content

the social norm thing

this is not ranting or complaining..
those who know me well know that I like to make this kind trivial observation.
and i have long made peace with the way the world works.

so few months ago I stayed at our friend's beautiful villa at Bali.
she happened to have two dogs who were roaming around freely and obviously, being someone who is not into furry and lick-y pets, I was troubled most of the times.
couldn't get my head around the idea of eating and playing with dogs at the same time.

and as i observed, i realised that probably more than 90% of our friends (there were like 20++ people) who were there were either lovers of dog or at least, they were dog- friendly folks, totally cool with getting licked all over and stuff.
I knew I belong to the minority group but I didn't expect the group to be that small.

I also noticed how some of my friends were astonished by the fact that I did not like dogs.
'how could you not like dogs?'
pretty much that was the reaction.
and honestly..  I don't even know why do I need to explain. like do i need to explain why I don't like to wear batik? :D

but let me offer some possible explanations:
1) my childhood memory of dogs involves scenes of me getting chased by dogs rather than those feel good Hollywood dog movie scenes.
2) i don't like the idea of being licked and dealing with pets saliva, be it dogs or any other animal really.

not that my reasoning matters.
it was simply not cool to not like dogs.
being dog loving has somewhat become part of those little features that boost your cool factor as a decent human being.

and so it is with batik and being Indonesian.
you just earn brownie points by championing batik.
and when you wear your batik to an international event, even more brownie points!
and again.. people were astonished when they found out that i didn't like batik.

that's why.. never buy that whole 'be yourself' lie, honestly.
most of the time I think you get more approvals by being what your society agree to be good.
and then.. add a little bit of that 'originality' on top of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-