Skip to main content

Sunken

There is this wonderful term in econs called "sunk cost".
I think that term.. along with the term "ceteris paribus" (all other things being equal), are among the most wonderful life principle that you can get from a basic "principle of economy" textbook.

Sunk cost is the price you already paid for in the past, that could never be recovered and could never be justified. It's just lost. We learn to understand the insignificance of sunk cost in deciding on future action. And that is so true.. not only in econs but also in almost every aspect of life.

There were times when I stared at my msn windows. There are nicks of some friends who I often chat with nowadays.. and some of them were not even in the list one or two years ago.

Then there are few others.. who used to be so close and familiar. Maybe the term 'close' is subjective. But at least we used to spend more time together, had more fun and understood each other better. Now? We are almost mutually exclusive.

And you wonder.. what had gone wrong? No fight no argument.. in fact there was not a single thing between you and them and that's the problem. 'Nothing' could sometimes be worse than 'bad thing'.

And even if you try to revive the whole thing.. you could sense that everything is kinda forced and what's the point of doing it 'for the sake of it'? Reunion can sometimes be just a convenient way to make you feel good, believing that the relationship is still there.

But sometimes you just have to let go. THey move on. So do you. All the good time and memory, they are sunk cost. Remember them if that makes you happy. Forget them if that makes you miserable.

And talking of relationship.. there are people who think that they shouldn't end their unhealthy love relationship just because they had been together for years. I am never happy to see people breaking up but I think you need to draw a line there.

And then there is your past success and happiness. You love to look back and think that things used to be easier and simpler and happier back then.
Well.. yes.. things were very often easier and simpler back then. Statistic says that kids smile and laugh a lot more compares to adult and that's a proof that you were happier back then. That's why our parents listen to their oldies songs and all that. Coz those are things that remind them of the so-called 'good old days'.

But it doesn't mean things were better back then.

And if we could ever understand that tomorrow will always be better than today, then we will probaly conclude that though things will never be simpler, we could always be happy.

Everytime you think that you can never get over someone, you are truly underestimating yourself.
And everytime you think that you can never find someone better than the guy/gal who dumped you, you are seriously underestimating God.

Lot's wife could not let go of her happy past in Sodom. She looked back. She perished. But Paul.. God blinded him the moment they met and the time he regained his vision, he decided not to look back, not even once.
He said, "every achievement and failure in the past, they all don't mean a thing to me anymore because of my friendship with Christ".

So I decide that I too, will relearn to love, to trust, to fight with all my heart. Because tomorrow deserve its chance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-