Skip to main content

this is not about football

I promise you this, trust me. So..

Let's start with some background here.
Arsenal- a football club in England for the rest of us (who don't support Man U). Just like Apple, the computer for the rest of us (who don't support Windows).
Gunners- terms for Arsenal football player.
Gooners- terms for Arsenal football fans.

so finally it comes. the news that break the hearts of, literally, millions of gooners.
we are on the verge of losing our best player, again.
on top of that, our captain.
the man who we think, may be different from the rest of them who left earlier.

Last year I wrote something about Cesc Fabregas, my then all time favorite Gunner.
He left for the club that must not be named.
He was captain too, then.
I thought he was different too, then.

Now it's Robin van Persie (RVP).
His no.10 shirt was once worn by a Dutch maestro called Dennis Bergkamp.
Just like Dennis, we brought RVP from a club where he failed to shine despite his talent.
Just like Dennis, RVP is ridiculously talented.
Just like Dennis, RVP is Dutch.

But Dennis won the best player award in his first season.
And Dennis signified the beginning of our golden era. You could say he was the pioneer.
RVP? He took years to show us what he got.
It's not 1 or 2 or even 4. It took him 7 years.
Because he almost always got injured. And it was long term injury, mostly.

So you would think with all those considered,
he will be different from other players who leave for trophy or money.
You will think he will at least inherit his predecessor's loyalty.
In fact he should be more fiercely loyal, given our loyalty to stick with him.
But no. He is leaving for a more guaranteed 'success'.

So why is this not about football?
Because this is actually, merely, a reflection of our society. Today.
A society that celebrates 'success', and glorify 'instant success'.
A society that feed on the Forbes list for inspiration.
And we don't give a damn how these people make it into the list.

A blogger made an interesting parable on RVP case.
Like a divorce. The club and the player are the parents. We, supporters, are the children.
And what a parable. Because indeed it's so much like the real marriage, today.

In the end, all those Forbes list, all those 'greatness'..are what Ecclesiastes is talking about.
Vanity of vanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-