Skip to main content

the seoul searching blog

things did not start off right with Seoul.
insadong did not impress me much.
neither was I in love when I visited myeongdong for the first time.
but i slowly develop a genuine love for this city.

well.. I like it enough to make me feel like going back there as soon as spring.
or maybe I just can't believe that I did not get to see Park Shin Hye :D

thanks to rimbun and bombie who got us through with their survival korean language skill.
as well as the sim card with unlimited data. plus GOOGLE MAP.
the trinity that ensure that we will never be lost.

so here are the things about Seoul that left memorable impression:

1) stairs: #@$@#%%^@



seriously.. my eternal enemy.
they are everywhere. most subway stations are on B3 or even B4.
and you either take stairs or the rarely seen lifts. no escalator.
but seeing how only the elderly take lifts, pride took over and I took stairs.

2) cafe



just like the stairs.. they are everywhere!
love the fact that instead of the boring starbucks & coffee beans that we see in most Singapore's malls, Seoul has some chains that are uniquely theirs.
and they are usually very spacious as well as well designed.

Even more amazing thing is this- some open for 24 hours on weekdays!
imagine taking a stroll at midnight in winter and go for a cup of hot latte for your writing inspiration.

Coffine Gurunaru and Mango Six are two chains that go into my checklist for next trip.
plus all the other outstanding cafes!
my personal favorite this visit: o'sulloc tea house

3) one direction



you can easily recognise how like-minded they are when it comes to trend.
their make up, their lipstick color, the guys' bags.
this bag thing is amazing. there are only two types of bags that the guys are using now.
no matter how old they are.
I use sling bag for safety purpose as a tourist.
and i find myself the only guy with sling back even in the most crowded places there.

ah but i LOVE their bags!

4) taxi
the good: they are VERY AFFORDABLE! so if you travel in group of three or four, most of the times you can rely on taxi when you are fed up with the stairs.
the bad: many only understand address written in hangul. we were beyond frustrated in our first few days there. Showed the driver a complete address written in latin alphabets and they just had no idea what it was. as if they never learned how to read latin alphabets!

BUT.. you can look for taxi with 'Free Interpretation' sticker. it means the driver understand English. How helpful!
this article helps too: using taxi in korea
REMEMBER THIS: driver who tries not to use meter will be penalised heavily if you report this to the authority.

 5) the gates



this is one of the trivial things that I love about this city.
it is not uncommon to suddenly see an ancient city gate standing in the middle of some major road junctions.
the 'mun' in dongdaemun and namdaemun means door/gate.
so I suppose it refers to the city gates in the old times?
unlike their fashion trend, Seoul has very interesting and diverse urban landscape imo.

my personal favorite area is samcheong dong.



the bukchon village (traditional korean houses) blend well with modern cafes and stores.
the atmosphere is right. not too touristy too.



special mention for Ewha Women University.
that place's landscape is fantastic. tasted the best bread in Seoul there at Richemont.



this guy seems to agree with me!

personal unfinished business: Gangnam and checking out street gig at Hongdae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-