Skip to main content

Being Underestimated

"One of the best opportunities you can be given in life is to be underestimated."

Not sure who says this but for some people (I am not saying all), this is so true!
I told a friend that all I need in my circle is a 1% who have unwavering belief in me, and another 99% who underestimate me. That would keep me motivated to strive to be better and better.
And that would give me ADVANTAGE. But we talk about advantage another time.

We all have areas that need improving. But all too often, in Asia especially, we all are too reluctant to tell others that they need a change. Even less likely for us to humiliate or insult that person by pointing out their weaknesses. Even if we dislike that person. Or especially if we dislike that person hah.
But insults, I realise, are a much stronger drive for me than comforting words.

There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job"- Terence Fletcher, Whiplash.

Last year, someone so, so close to me told me something that I would never forget.
It was really humiliating.
And the way the situation is now, those words appear more like insult to me now.
Not even a close friend plain truth for your sake kind of words.

I told that person.. "you have underestimated me".
And I never say that to anyone. More often I would say the opposite.
i was so hurt back then. But now I am grateful for those words.

Because every time I feel lazy, every time I feel like indulging in whatever I like instead of working out at gym or working harder, I would remember those words.
My other friend told me not to strive to earn approval.
Well.. she is too kind.

I do not strive so as to get approval from the person who underestimated me.
Nah.. we strive for something greater and more satisfying than that.
(refer to Liam Neeson Clash of Clans video for definition of 'satisfying')

So.. thank you for the humiliation!
It awakened me.
The most effective pills are often the most bitter ones. Indeed.

HOWEVER.. HOWEVERR....
you know. all those things I said above?
they are really not as important as learning to be humble and kind.

yeah.. this is the true homework for me in 2015.
more important than having my Liam Neeson style of satisfaction (though I admit that is still tempting hah),
I pray that God would just do whatever with my heart,
that it would become a gentle, kind, and humble one.

That.. will be my mark of a great 2015.
“One of the best opportunities you can be given in life is to be underestimated.” - See more at: http://meanttobehappy.com/the-power-of-being-underestimated/#sthash.BYQ7rHr8.dpuf
“One of the best opportunities you can be given in life is to be underestimated.” - See more at: http://meanttobehappy.com/the-power-of-being-underestimated/#sthash.BYQ7rHr8.dpuf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-