Skip to main content

EPL Sharing March 2015 - All in All

Today we had our first CG in 2015.
I shared from the great commandment verse.
Love the Lord your God from all your heart, with all your soul, all your understanding, and all your strength.

Ever think about why this supposedly great commandment is so often cited and so rarely discussed?

I love John Piper's sharing about the joy in God and love for God>>> here
I think it is beautiful. But then again.. one thing that I am learning as I meditate on the great commandment is this-
My heart is not the same as your heart. Nor are my soul, understanding, and strength the same as yours.

But God does not ask us to love Him the way someone else does. Even if our mum loves to compare our dad  to her friend's husband.

No.. God wants us to love him with all that we are. Just as we are.
Yes.. this selfish heart of mine, this heart that is full of deceit, bitterness, and everything that seems so unworthy, this is the heart that He is interested in.

The question is.. will I love him with all of this heart?
Could I? I couldn't on my own. But with Christ in me, I certainly could.
But will I?
Do I really want him to be my all in all?
Is he really, like the parable that he once told us, the treasure that I seek?
Do I really love him and want to see him?

That CS Lewis statement up there, I asked myself two questions:
1) Who cares about being pure in heart anyway? If such virtue is considered valuable in our society, I certainly don't feel it.
2) and then.. blessed are the pure in heart because they shall see God? well.. do we really want to see Him? or are we simply happy enough knowing that he is loving and watching over us?

There are two kind of churches that has strong influence over people around me.
The first kind would not be interested to discuss this hah.
The second one.. would say that this part of loving God would and should be a natural consequence of His loving us.

But here's the paradox of our Christianity.

On one hand it seems like loving and wanting God is something that we could not have decided or done on our own.
Indeed.. not by might not by power but by the Spirit of God.

And yet on the other hand, it seems like God has created us different precisely in the way that we are blessed with the capacity of freewill.

I learn that not everyone would be interested in this (which is okay..),
and not everyone will be agreeable (which I prefer.. because then we can discuss),
but it is not possible for me not to say it just because it's not popular.
because if one day I am no longer with them, I know at least I have shared with them what I truly believe in.

For when you strip naked my belief, my faith, my Christianity..
when you take away all the church doctrines and rituals and instruments and songs and lights and campaigns and gifts that I have come to know and let go..
this is all that is left in me.

that there is simply one issue at the heart of this journey.
Jesus.. He can only be one of the two things.
Either He is not important at all.. or He is the most important of all.

I am definitely neither here not there today.
But which direction are we heading to?
Is His importance in our lives growing or shrinking as time goes by?

John the Baptist, the man who walked in the spirit of the great prophet Elijah,
said this upon meeting Jesus..
"He must become greater.. I must become less."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-