Skip to main content

Okaasan, arigatou ne

Two days ago was mother's day. Mother's day meant little to my family few years ago. My dad was the typical old school husband and father who didn't teach us the little things such as hugging and kissing your parents. While our family isn't disoriented, thanks God, we are not that warm either. My brother and I never really learnt how to show the gesture when you care about someone.

So my mum would envy other mothers when she saw them being hugged by their children. She would want us to do the same. But we didn't even see our dad and mum hold hands and hugging till recently. My mum is such a romantic but my dad just doesn't have that in his blood. Not to say that he doesn't know how to be romantic. He just couldn't make the sense out of it. Why is that so? Because he grew up in a family where his dad (my grandpa) was the dictator with iron hands. It becomes recursive.

If no changes happen to me, I will end up starting a family with similar problem. My children will grow up with little clue on how to treat and pamper people you care about. But I think.. well I sort of feel that I will do better. After all, I have my mum's blood.

Which brought me to her sms two days ago. She asked me if I remember what she taught me when I was small. I was in my Primary 1 or 2 back then, involved in fight with classmates every now and then. Yeah.. I have never been that sociable to begin with. When you are fat and the others taunt you nonstop, of course you gotta teach them some lessons so that they know it's not that beneficial to be skinny anyway. So I thought. My dad would be so proud of me everytime I reached home and told him my latest adventure. My mum would show the opposite reaction.

She would teach me to be courteous. For example, she told me that when someone drop his stuff, I have to pick it up for him so that in future they will do the same for me when I drop my stuff. I didn't really remember this until she reminded me two days ago. And it got me thinking.

All these advises that I don't really memorize but somehow it just stays with me. Actually I was never impressed with her gentle heart. I thought she suffered a lot because of that. I felt she would have been beter off if she is not that naive and gentle. She always try to be fair and honest. She tries not to side with anyone when her friends or sisters fight and guess what, both sides would end up disliking her. I often told her to be more egoistic, more realistic. I knew it was a terrible advise but I just couldn't stand all the injustice she faced. Not that she would change a single bit anyway.

It's funny though. For all my disagreement, somehow almost everyone would come to her and tell her that I looked so much like her. In the end, she is my mother and I am her child after all.

That's mother for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-