Skip to main content

The Monk and the Riddle #2

I have tried several different jobs, and I observed people, and come to conclusion:
Whatever path you take in life, whatever job you choose.. if you want to be successful, it will never be easy.

That includes serving God.

And this is why we need to recognize where our passion lies.
Many times.. we are confused between 'drive' and 'passion'.

Drive.. is the power that PUSH you to fulfill what you need to do.
Passion.. on the other hand, is the power that PULL you to something you can't resist.

You wake up in the morning for work,
you have sales target to meet, deadline to met.
You may not be too happy with your work but you are raring to go. You tell yourself,
"think about the holiday, think about the year end bonus, think about the promotion".

And when all else fails, you tell yourself,
"in whatever you do, do as if it is for God."

that is drive.

Make no mistake, drive can and will bring us success.

Drive emphasize on the goal. The goal outweighs the sacrifice. So even if you don't enjoy the journey, you will still walk on it.
In our walk with God, drive matters a lot. Because taking up the cross is not so much of enjoyment. Paul tells us to fix our eyes on the goal. The glory that awaits us outweighs the sacrifice.

But drive is not the only thing that could bring us there.
There is passion.

When the going get tough (and it always does), many of us run out of steam. We lose the drive.

Now at AIG in the US, resignation letters fly in every day.
People were wondering why AIG paid bonuses to its staff despite their critical situation.
But all these top companies are run by mercenaries.
Do you think they are passionate about their company?
They are only concerned about the numbers.

But well.. some mercenaries are more greedy and stupid than the others.
Like the AIG ones.

Passion.. it is something that does not only focuses on the goal. it is about the whole journey. the fulfillment does not lie within the result but it is the entire package that counts.

Just like when you are madly in love with a girl.
When you do those lil sweet things for her,
when you walk her home,
when you watch her every move,
I guess you are not only thinking, "I want her to be my girlfriend".

You enjoy the entire process, every detail, every minute.. because you are passionate about her.

When Apple first started, their slogan was "Computer for the Rest of Us".
Their employee were all proud of being part of Apple. They truly believed in their mission. Ohh the slogan was like gospel to them and they were crazy about it. These super talented people cared little about the title in their business card, or the figure in their payslip. They were men on mission.

And they made it.

Apple was one of those few that proves.. Business is about the Romance, not just the Finance.

And when it comes to God, eventually, I believe drive alone is not enough.
You gotta dig deep into your heart and ask yourself,
"Am I passionate about God? Am I simply working for my salvation, or am I being pulled by the wonderful grace of God?"

Because if we only count on the drive.. I am afraid it won't be good enough to lead us to the end.
The heartbreaks, sickness, rejection, disappointment, betrayal, tiredness- we are bent to meet them at one point of time.

There will be time when it's hard to see the goal. The rewards seem to be so far away and the emergency exit door is just right beside us.
This is the time when passion takes over.
Only those who are passionate about their God, will march on.

Just like Daniel's friends, who knew that they face the possibility of becoming BBQ Trio, and yet they boldly proclaim,
"even if our God does not save us today, He will still be the only God we worship."

That is what you call crazy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-