Skip to main content

The Monk and the Riddle #1

I am currently reading this book that I have been aiming to read for the last 1 year.

Here is the summary of what I've read so far (some words are my own opinion):

Many people try to live their life in two stages:
1. Do what I need to do,
and when I successfully complete the first stage, I could
2. Do what I WANT to do.

many of us believe that our first aim is to achieve the holy grail, that is the financial freedom.
and in order to achieve that, we will have to do what we need to do, even if it is not what we want to do. that's the goal of the 1st stage.

be it climbing up the corporate ladder, or joining the brigade of high-flying bankers, or like me.. becoming a property agent hoping to close some huge deals in 3-5 years and achieve that holy grail.

now.. nothing wrong with that plan. it is reasonable and logical.
but as you know.. many times things don't happen the way we like it in life.

ask yourself this question: what if i never get pass the 1st stage?
i am sure many bankers who, two years ago, were well on their way to their goal to retire in 10 years time.. are now wondering if they will need another 10 years.

and here's the funnier part.
some people manage to get pass their 1st stage, only to find themselves lost when they try to figure out what they REALLY WANT TO DO.

yes they got enough money, insurance, and asset to live till their 100th birthday.
but.. after all the hard work, all the sacrifice they made, missing on all the things they had wanted to do, they find themselves lost.

ask yourselves, and your friends, "would you be willing to do what you do now for your entire life?"
i am sure that 8 or 9 out of 10 will tell you a big NO.

indeed.

you started off by telling yourselves, "i will work hard for 10-15 years, and then i will say goodbye to all these stuff."
you spent years pursuing your financial goal, doing those things you thought you 'need to do'.

it has become an integral part of yourselves. so much so that when you really have the luxury to let go, to pursue what you want to do.. you end up coming back to the very job you have been doing in the 1st stage.

why? because you've come to know your profession more than you know yourselves.

there's nothing wrong with putting all your effort into achieving your financial goals. but.. if you are hoping to use the financial freedom as your mean to pursue your passion, you could well be in for a big surprise.

-to be continued-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-