Skip to main content

Justice or Mercy

During last cellgroup, we had a very interesting debate on justice vs mercy.
if someone break the law, do you advice him and give him chance, or do you hand him over to the law enforcer?
i think there is no absolute answer to this because you really have to take into account how severe his act is, how severe his punishment will be, etc. We still need to be wise but generally, I tend to prefer mercy over justice.

And that surprised dian. Heh we ended up continuing our discussion the next morning over the msn. She simply thought that it was only natural that you make sure that the wrongdoer get his due punishment. I think she was right in the sense that law need to be enforced. Otherwise our society will be in chaos.

It's important, I think, to know that God is both merciful and just. He is both forgiving and punishing. Both mercy and justice are part of God's personality. That's why, I said that there is nothing wrong with dian's opinion.

So if I were a policeman and I catch a thief, I gotta realise that God has made me a policeman to make sure that justice prevails. So I gotta do my duty.

As I said I can't tell you to be merciful all the way. But I think we need to be merciful in our act. We of all people, know that we deserve eternal punishment but instead, we receive salvation. Do we deserve it? No.
And you should know the story of a woman caught committing adultery. She was brought to Jesus and the crowd wanted to know what Jesus would do.
According to the law? Stoned to death.
According to Jesus? Your sin is forgiven. Go and sin no more.
Did Jesus know for sure that this woman would repent? No, He couldn't control her. He only trusted her.

Maybe I am inclined towards mercy because I too.. have been in the woman's position.
The Lord has shown me mercy after mercy. And His love has covered my many mistakes.

dian posed this interesting question: if everyone practice mercy the way you say it, wouldn't it be a chaos? the bad guys will always be forgiven and they will never change.

Well my answer to this is..
1. No, I believe that God is not that ignorant. He is just and He will defend the righteous.
2. That's why there are soldiers, policemen, etc. These people are there as God's tool to enforce the law.
3. Practically, most people will practice justice over mercy. So there is no way that everyone will practice mercy.

I think.. for every one person who forgives, there are nine others who would punish.. that's how the world is.
We can choose to be one of the nine or to be the one who forgives.
And I truly believe that forgiveness and love have the power to lead someone to repentance.

Comments

vy said…
打是情,骂是爱 mah.. =D

But further on that point, I do think our mindsets should be on 'educating/healing' (the outlaws, the society) rather than 'punishing'. And punishment can be a form of education (owing to wisdom as you said); punishment can (and should) be given out of mercy. No contradiction, then. =)

Of course, ideally speaking. =D
phoenix chix said…
Haha valid point. But you can't always control your mindset when you are the victim. Can you really claim that your act of handing a thief who tried to break into your house is your act of educating instead of punishing?

We, human, are fragile.

I think there is a thin line between educating and punishing, between 'mengajar' and 'menghajar'.

When it comes to some strangers we don't know well.. most likely you are driven by punishment rather than education.

Of course I can't prove my point LOL ^^

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-