Skip to main content

the pursuit of HappYness

the movie reconfirm a fact I start believing in: if you want to be up there among the greatest, you have to be prepared to be at the lowest, damnest point of life.

And it's something, sadly, I may not have enough courage to do.
Chris Gardner was pursuing his dream job so singlemindedly that he had to lose his wife and he even had to stay inside a locked toilet with his son as he was left with 21.33$ in his pocket.
If it was me, I might have gone to look for a job, any job, that would at least provide me with enough money to stay alive.

Not to say that his path is the one we all have to take. No I don't believe that all of us are meant to be stockbroker, drive ferrari, and stuff. And no.. I don't believe that his happYness is our happYness. I think we can live a 'salary man' life and still be glorifying God through different means.

But the point is.. there are some people who are like Chris Gardner. Those who have a strong vision to be somebody great. Those who are prepared to risk their everything if they have to. And I kinda admire them coz I think that is also somekind of faith, and I still have a lot to learn in that sense.

Oh yeah.. despite everything, there was something Chris Gardner never risk losing and that was his son. He said, "I made a point that my son would know who his father is."

Comments

Anonymous said…
chris gardner dalam websitenya www.chrisgardnermedia.com, mengingatkan "be happy" itu bukan soal uang, tapi what you love to do. Yeah..but realistically we need money...we need money..this is the society we live in..this is reality.
vy said…
Commenting on the comment =)

Indeed, for some people financial security -> peace of mind -> happiness, so why not. =D But I do get the impression that he is very realistic about the need for money. He's saying we should try to get to that money by/while doing what we love.

On a more spiritual side.. I'm a firm believer of Lincoln's "You are as happy as you make up your mind to be." Dreams/money/love/family/etc are all important factors of happiness, but they do not define it. This movie is really about 'pursuit'; as for 'happiness', I'd say the Italian movie "Life Is Beautiful" said it best. =)
phoenix chix said…
it's very hard to define our happiness, isn't it? You think you know but oftentimes, you don't.

It makes you wonder if there is really anything in this world that could give you absolute happiness. And maybe there isn't any because nothing is really constant and absolute in this world.

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-