Skip to main content

Before the Kimchis.. There was a Rika

"Kanchi was standing there as Satomi bent down to tie up his loose shoe lace. And from the opposite direction, a familar figure was walking towards his direction. It was a busy morning in Tokyo but his eyes can't miss that person. Because that person was Rika Akana. She didn't seem to realise his presence but he couldn't seem to ignore her presence. Should he call her? Or should he let the past be the past?"

That is one scene in Tokyo Love Story that I could never forget, and excluding Oshin, that drama was my first Japanese drama. It's really a bitter sweet moment when you come across such situation. Should you call her? Should you pretend that you don't see her?

The following scenes were even more memorable.

"Do you ever regret it?" Rika asks. She was refering to that fateful day few years back. Rika gave Kanchi a deadline to make up his mind, whether to choose Rika who was his present or to choose Satomi who was his past.

Rika was waiting for him at the train station and he didn't show up in the end. So she left in tears. Of course she never knew that Kanchi actually decided to choose Rika in the end. But he was just too late.

"A little bit.. just a little bit" answers Kanchi jokingly. That was his greatest regret in life but Rika mustn't know about that.

Now everything has changed. Satomi is Kanchi's present and Rika is Kanchi's past. Kanchi knows he should never make the same mistake. So he chooses his present.

Rika laughs and teases him that she would tell Satomi that he regretted his decision.

How could she not know that Kanchi still has a strong feeling for her? Kanchi's passionate eyes betrayed his casual answer. And Rika's single hood betrays the liberated image she tries to project.

The longer they chat, the harder it will be to hide the feeling. So they decided to part, for good.

I don't remember how they did it but I think they had this habit everytime they part, where they would stand with their backs facing each other, count from one to ten, and take one step towards the opposite direction with each count. It was just so heartbreaking.

No one should have looked back, but both couldn't resist looking back. It's just fate that they looked back at different time. So both walked away thinking
"Maybe you are totally over me after all. I shouldn't be your life anymore. Thank you for everything. Thank you that you once loved me so."

Comments

Linda said…
if i'm not mistaken...

i remember that Rika left early, a lil bit earlier before the deadline. Kanji was there on time, but still too late...

i think this could be what she had in mind, "if he really loves me, why would he think twice about choosing me?"
Linda said…
hv asked Owen bout it. hehe...
now i'm sure.
Kanji came right before the train departed. He thought he was on time. But Rika was not there.

She had left with the previous train.

uh, i miss that heartbreaking moment...
Anonymous said…
Hi! Thanks! Loved this blog entry about tokyo love story. I watched it way back and recently just watched it again...I guess the truth is at the very end, kanchi made his choice and decided not to give Rika up but Rika too made her choice that perhaps she had tried too hard in the past and now it's her turn to let go. I really loved this show a lot. I still believe that Kanchi actually does love Rika immensely but is tied back by a sense of responsibility to satomi(since she's so weak and so totally needs kanchi). Was it my imagination or did kanchi not really seem very happy with satomi at the very end? I realise he always seems more cheery and energetic with Rika:)

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-