Skip to main content

World Cup!!

It's World Cup! The last World Cup was 2002. We were still at PGP. Watching from the TV lounge.. ah NUS memory. I guess the South Korea vs Italy match was held when I and some other friends were practicing for this erm.. National Youth Parade or what.. darn can't remember the exact name. All in the name of in-campus accomodation. Oh.. that's yet another nice memory. How come the past always felt much sweeter? ^^

Tracking back even further, World Cup 1998. I always remember the little guide book I and my bro got for free.. the guide is totally er.. misguiding. It described Paulo Maldini as "possibly the best attacker in the world at the moment". And we, being a little newbie to the world of football, actually believed it that time! Oh and the first time we heard about Zidane, we thought his name was actually Zidane Zidan.. 1998's Zidane was basically sensational. Ronaldo's mysterious illness the night before the final was something few will forget. The Phenomenon then, now Ronaldo is just a poacher; still a very good one though.

Many believe this is gonna be Ronaldinho's World Cup. It's the time for Goofey to shine, now that Rivaldo is gone and Ronaldo is just a shadow of his old self. I am afraid they are right.. but where is the drama in that? There are few others who are eager to make this World Cup theirs but the luck is not with them.

Rooney is on top of his game and was poised to play major part in this World Cup but for that silly injury. I am not a big fan of England team but I would love to see him recover fully in time. It will be interesting for neutrals. As for Thierry Henry, he is also on top of his game but French's national team was never built around him. Now that Djibril Cisse is injured for another silly reason, France will need TH to perform. Ballack is of course another big player hampered by injury. I expect the German captain to be fit in time though.

Other than them, there are many other less glamorous players with mission in this World Cup. Riquelme, the maestro playmaker for Argentina, will have chance to shine now that he is entrusted to run the team's midfield. Luca Toni of Italy has to prove his goalscoring ability at this level, if given chance. Fernando Torres will want to take this chance to take over the 'Golden Son' status from Raul. And last but not least, van Nistelrooy would love to prove his worth to Ferguson.

Those are the individuals.

The "dark horses" I am interested in, among them, would be Ivory Coast and Czech Republic. Ivory Coast will need somekind of miracle to survive their deadly group though. Argentina, Netherlands, Serbia&Montenegro. Tough ones. Czezh Republic should have the ability to overcome Ghana and US to qualify along with Italy. Personally, I would like to see what Tomas Rosicky, Arsenal's new signing, can do.

Rite.. let's enjoy the fun! May your favorite team win! Whoever they are ^^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-