Skip to main content

Farewell DB10

Legend. It's an overused word in football. For World Cup football fans there is only one legend whose retirement worth mentioning at the moment. That is Zinedine Zidane. For Premiership football fans, there are three legends who has retired recently. There is a Scot forward who most people can't bother to remember. Erm.. Duncan Ferguson anyone? There is an English forward who, despite his rough play, deserves my admiration for his bravery and fighting spirit. I will miss your spirit, Alan Shearer. And then, there is one Dennis Bergkamp.

I started supporting Arsenal the year Bergkamp signed for Arsenal from Inter Milan. My allegiance to Arsenal has nothing to do with his arrival though. It was more of coincidence.

Eleven years down the road, the time has finally come to bid farewell to this man. Looking back.. he has really been the catalyst for Arsenal's return to elite football. Anyone who has seen him playing in his prime would have told you that he is undoubtedly the best no. 10 Arsenal has ever had. And I would go even further to tell you that he is one of the best shadow strikers I have ever seen playing. The way he make those visionary passes others could never see, the way he plan the moves in seconds, and the fact that he is the only player who could partner Thiery Henry and understand TH's thought.. This is one of the classiest players I have ever seen.

But it is his loyalty and professionalism that stands out for me. There are some talented footballers who know extremely well how to use their feet but struggle to use their brain properly. There is Sol Campbell, the drama queen who quit the game halfway and left his team trailing because he had some personal relationship problem and couldn't play. There is Ashley Cole who is prepared to leave the club he supported since childhood to play for the Bank of Chelsea. But not Dennis Bergkamp.

He knows how to shut his mouth and when to speak and what to say. He knows how to control the greed for more money and there has never been issue of wage when it comes to settling his contract. He works for the team on and off the field. He takes care of the younger players and he does not openly oppose the manager in any circumstance. He has integrity and he is wise.

The Ice Man is someone Arsenal could never replace for years to come. It might even be easier for some Arsenal fans to see Henry retires. Just like Eric Cantona, DB10 is the pride of every gooner who grow up supporting Arsene Wenger's Arsenal. He is loved by his fellow players that van Basten and Cryuff turned up for his testimonial last Saturday. It is the first game at Arsenal's new home, The Emirates Stadium. And it's a fitting farewell for a man who will always be remembered as Arsenal's Legend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-