Skip to main content

Classic Anime: Full Metal Alchemist

"It's the law of equivalent trade. In order to get something, you have to sacrifice another with equal value."

Some anime make me laugh, some cry, few make me cry and laugh altogether. Among these few anime is Full Metal Alchemist. What is alchemist? Alchemy is a study on chemistry transformation. Many people think of alchemy purely as a ridiculous attempt to turn lead into gold. Well some of the alchemists do live for that goal but many contribute to the world with their discoveries of medicine, potion, etc.

The anime itself revolves around Edward Elric and his younger brother, Alphonse Elric who are alchemists by trade. It begins with the scene where Edward and Alphonse, still kids then, perform an alchemy ritual trying to revive their mother. Life transmutation is said to be the most forbidden practice. Anyone who try to transmutate life will be committing an inerasable sin.

Edward loses his right arm in process and Alphonse loses his entire body. Fortunately, or unfortunately, Edward being a very talented natural manages to save Alphonse' soul and contain it inside an old iron knight armour.

Four years later, they are still surviving. Their goal is the philosopher stone. The mythical stone that alchemists believe holds enormous power to do anything, to turn lead into gold, and very likely, good enough to bring back a life.

"Why don't you just give up?"

"We can't. We can't look back anymore. We can only keep going."

Times and again Edward would give the same answer. The only way to make up for everything is to fight on. Edward will take on the whole world if he has to and Alphonse is more than willing to sacrifice the remaining of his soul to fight alongside his brother.

FMA ending song translation:: (source animelyrics.com)

With you in my usual sight, I can breath
Even though that's already plenty enough to me

The petty me does nothing but repeat mistakes
How strong a strength do I need to have so that nothing will get hurt?

Without hesitation, I believe in this love and live on
I'll tightly embrace your unbandaged wound

And together we'll keep on walking, because we can't go back
Even now, the inerasable sin deep in my chest hurts, but-
Darling

I remember the painfulness of the love I lost back then
I'm a little perplexed by the vivid blueness of this sky

For example, even if I sacrificed something, I'd only believe in one thing
The color of the bloomed flowers in the instant when your straightforward eyes reflect

Even if I'm powerless, I'll live on strongly in this destiny
We'll join our hands and our warmths will melt together forever
If so, even if the sins of more things to come will be painful

For example, if as long as I'm with you, even if we just turn against the waves of the world...

Without hesitation, I believe in this love and live on
I'll tightly embrace your unbandaged wound

Without hesitation, I live in this destiny and live on
If I'm with you, surely we'll be connected forever
And together we'll only look forward, even if nothing came to be done
Nevertheless, I'll keep on protecting you with my hands by all means-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yasuko to Kenji

Watched till the 8th episode, and each episode always has its touching moments, as well as silly moments. Not a spectacular drama, but a good one for sure. And the guy is a mangaka... oh no.. the dream that was buried long time ago... Go to mysoju.com if you'd like to watch. Amagasa - Yasuko to Kenji OST, by Tokio soo ka.... Tokio also sang My boss My hero's OST, Sorafune I think i like this band

journal: a little update

wow I am actually back to this blog. between Apr 27 2018 and now.. what has happened? I officially proposed to my girlfriend (wah.. trust me you gonna miss that word), got married, and.. became a dad. yeah.. all in a matter of less than 2 years. now when you consider the fact that in 2015 I would not have the slightest idea how things would turn out, it just goes to show how life changes in a blink. How is married life? Well.. I am one of those who has pretty pragmatic view when it comes to marriage. I have seen enough to know that relationship is messy. So.. I must say marriage has been way way better than my expectation hah.. For example.. I knew that my wife is a smart woman. I knew some of her shortcoming too.. (and there are some I didn't know till we got married, of course) BUT... here's the big bonus. I didn't know she can be that adorably funny in her own way. Not funny like a standup comedian funny but.. you know.. she makes me laugh. Trust me.

Hmm..

si mahasiswa NTU yg bunuh diri itu denger2 namanya david. sigh.. mgkn final year presssure was too much to him. jadi inget masa2 kerjain final year project, tinggal 3 bulan dan gua maseh blank. untung ngga masuk berita ky dia. life is a funny thing. well since there is a chance that this may not be a simple suicide, lets not assume so. maybe there's a truth behind this. duh.. jd inget kalo di conan trus dia bilank, "ini bukan bunuh diri.. ini adalah kasus pembunuhan!" jadi serasa mao jadi detektip -_-